The School of Built Environment (SBE) is divided in four (4) Departments name: (1) Civil Engineering and Surveying, (2) Mechanical Engineering, (3) Electrical and Electronics, (4) Building Construction.
The school consist of a Dual Sector Program which offers both Technical, Vocational, Educational, and Training (TVET) as well as Higher Education. The TVET Sector focuses in hands on practical learning which work together with the industries to provide Trade Skills Man Power. The higher Education Sector focuses both researches as well as practical.
The department of Civil Engineering and Surveying provides skills with Road Industries, Building and also land marking through Surveying. The Mechanical department at the moment assists with other programs that needs their students learning Welding and Machining. The Electrical and Electronics departments trains students with hands on skills of how to work with Electricity and Electronic Appliances. The last department is a very important one, as it deals with the trade industry in terms of Plumbing and Water Services as well as the Carpentry.
The school has a total of 26 staffs: 23 academic and 3 support staff members, and is one of the leading schools in providing high standard technical education along with technology and excellence in various trades for all Solomon Islanders.
The School of Built Environment is located at the Kukum Campus.
Current and Proposed Programme Offered
Programmes offered currently and under development at the School of Built Environment:
- Department of Civil Engineering and Surveying:
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma of Mechanical Engineering (currently being developed)
- Certificate III in Mechanical Engineering (currently being developed)
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Diploma of Photovoltaic Energy System (NEW)
- Certificate IV in Electrical Technology
- Certificate IV Refrigeration and Air conditioning
- Department of Building and Construction
- Diploma in Construction Management
- Certificate IV in Carpentry and Joinery
- Certificate IV in Plumbing and Water Services
Head of School | Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering
Mr. Cyril Bernard Rachman | M.Eng. (Indonesia) | B. Eng (PNG)
- Member of the Institute of Highway Engineers, UK (2021)
- Member of the Australian Water Association, Australia (2020)
- Former Head of School, Senior Lecturer, Senior Instructor, School of Building and Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, Science and Technology, Fiji National University, Suva, Fiji Islands (2014)
- Former Assistant Engineering Manager, LBS Engineers Ltd, Honiara, Solomon Islands (2013)
- Masters of Engineering in Civil Engineering (Yogyakarta, 2012)
- Chief Civil Engineer, Ministry of Infrastructure Development – MID (2008)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering (Lae, 2007)