The Maritime Academy prepares men and women for successful careers in passenger transportation, merchant and cargo transportation, international trade, safety and rescue and other maritime sub-sectors.
- The Academy is made up of the Nautical Department and the Marine Engineering Department. The Department of Nautical Studies is located at Ranadi Campus while the Marine Engineering Department is at Kukum Campus. The Academy offers training in maritime occupational health and safety, maritime studies, marine nautical studies and marine engineering.
- All students who are attempting Certificates of Competency are responsible for contacting the Solomon Islands Maritime Safety Administration to ensure that they qualify for the external examinations before applying to the School for the courses. Applications are done by filling the SINU Application Forms and are sent to the Student Academic Services Office. Placement in any course is confirmed only when registration is done and fees are paid. Please note that our courses are run only when the required number of students is enrolled.
A major component of training in maritime and marine engineering is sea time training. All students undertaking studies in maritime and marine engineering courses are required to complete 12 months of sea time training terms before progression on to the next level of their training.
Programs offered by the Maritime Academy are as follows:
Maritime Studies Programs
- Basic safety
- Advanced Safety
- Basic Maritime Studies
- Class 6 Master/Engineers
- Class 5 Master
- Class 4 Master
Marine Engineering Programs
- Advanced Certificate in Technology – Marine Engineering
- Class 5 Marine Engineering
- Class 4 Marine Engineering
Director of Maritime Academy
Dr. Teorae Kabure
Dr Teorae who hails from the Republic of Kiribati is better known as the first I-Kiribati and Tab-South Shipmaster to hold a Doctorate with over 30 years of experience in the maritime and shipping industry.
Before his appointment at SINU, Dr Kabure spent more than 8 years teaching at a Maritime College in Madang, Papua New Guinea. He is well-versed in the maritime industry and brings with him a wealth of expertise from working on board ships as well as a shore-based career that included Maritime Training and Education. He will be assisting the Maritime Academy at SINU in reaching new heights with his excellent level of experience as a seafarer in international waters.
Career highlights include his sea time between 1993-1999, he attained his goals of being a seafarer, obtained a position as a junior officer before he got promoted and did his sea time on board foreign-going cargo ships in Germany. In 1999, he achieved his Class 1 Master in Certificate of Competency maritime studies at the New Zealand Maritime Academy in Auckland.
In 2006 Dr Kabure worked as a senior Maritime Lecturer at a Maritime College in PNG. After 8 years of service, he became Head of the Nautical Department at the PNG Maritime College. Kabure did not stop learning during that time, he reached the highest technical level of maritime and he decided to do the 1st part of his Post Graduate studies in 2008. He progressed on to obtain his MBA from the Australia Maritime College (University of Tasmania) majoring in Maritime Logistics. He was then awarded his Doctorate from the Atlantic International University in Honolulu Hawaii.