The School of Tourism & Hospitality Management (STHM) has its own purpose-built teaching and training facility at Kukum Campus, Honiara, the Capital of Solomon Islands. Located on prime real estate, along Phillip Highway Road, with easy access to various transportation and other amenities such as shops and markets. The STHM premises include a state-of-the-art commercial kitchen, bar area with coffee machine, foyer for entertainment, two demonstrating model hotel rooms for house-keeping, laundry, a demonstrating reception area, air-conditioned lecture theatre, computer laboratory, tutorial rooms and staff offices.
STHM is a centre of excellence which seeks to enrich the hospitality and service professions in matters of knowledge, skills and humanity. It does this by:
- Combining theoretical and practical knowledge for both the public and private sectors of society
- Equipping and confirming graduates with the command and transformational power of serving society through their work
- Providing responsive programmes to meet the needs of industry/economy and the care of the person
- Promoting scientific research and policy dialogue as a way to provide advancement to society in what it means ‘to be of service’ and its consequences.
- Strengthening co-operation with other academic institutions, training facilities, industry bodies and civil society so as to contribute to the spread of sound values and human development
STHM has enrolment of approximately 200 students in the following qualifications cohorts.
- Transfer knowledge and skills in line with hospitality, events and tourism
- Stimulate a critical and active learning mix, oriented to the direct application, during classes, of models and tools coming from real business context and territories,
- Provide an overview of the tourism systems, its development trends for better understanding of the interconnections between the tourism, hospitality, events and related industry- (food, fashion, sports, arts and cultural heritage)
- Foster students specialisation in Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Events and Tourism
- Offer graduates with the confidence to be entrepreneurial and to move away from a paradigm of “job seekers” to “job creators”.
Courses offered by the Institute of Tourism & Hospitality
- Certificate in Hospitality Studies
- Certificate in Travel and Tours
- Diploma of Tourism Studies
- Diploma of Travel and Tours
- Diploma of Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Hospitality Business, Tourism and Event Management