The Institute of Tourism and Hospitality (ITH) has its own purpose-built teaching and training facility at Kukum Campus, Honiara, the Capital of Solomon Islands. Located on prime real estate, along Phillip Highway Road, with easy access to various transportation and other amenities such as shops and markets. The ITH premises include a state-of-the-art commercial kitchen, bar area with coffee machine, foyer for entertainment, two demonstrating model hotel rooms for house-keeping, laundry, a demonstrating reception area, air-conditioned lecture theatre, computer laboratory, tutorial rooms and staff offices.
ITH is a centre of excellence which seeks to enrich the hospitality and service professions in matters of knowledge, skills and humanity. It does this by:
- Combining theoretical and practical knowledge for both the public and private sectors of society
- Equipping and confirming graduates with the command and transformational power of serving society through their work
- Providing responsive programmes to meet the needs of industry/economy and the care of the person
- Promoting scientific research and policy dialogue as a way to provide advancement to society in what it means ‘to be of service’ and its consequences.
- Strengthening co-operation with other academic institutions, training facilities, industry bodies and civil society so as to contribute to the spread of sound values and human development
ITH has enrolment of approximately 200 students in the following qualifications cohorts.
- Transfer knowledge and skills in line with hospitality, events and tourism
- Stimulate a critical and active learning mix, oriented to the direct application, during classes, of models and tools coming from real business context and territories,
- Provide an overview of the tourism systems, its development trends for better understanding of the interconnections between the tourism, hospitality, events and related industry- (food, fashion, sports, arts and cultural heritage)
- Foster students specialisation in Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Events and Tourism
- Offer graduates with the confidence to be entrepreneurial and to move away from a paradigm of “job seekers” to “job creators”.
Courses offered by the Institute of Tourism & Hospitality
- Certificate in Hospitality Studies
- Certificate in Travel and Tours
- Diploma of Tourism Studies
- Diploma of Travel and Tours
- Diploma of Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Hospitality Business, Tourism and Event Management
Director of Institute
Mr. Charlie Panakera
Prior to joining SINU, Charlie was a senior staff of Waikato Management School, Waikato University New Zealand for 26years. He initially commenced his academic career through the Department of Accounting and Finance, School of Business Studies, Massey University, Palmerston North, before moving to Waikato. Charlie’s consultation work, research activities and publications focuses on tourism and hospitality education, trainings and development issues in the Pacific Islands (including the Pacific peoples in New Zealand). Charlie’s expertise is drawn from his experiences as a Pacific Island academic, a former Political leader, a Banker, Member of Board of Directors and as a successful entrepreneur having owned and operated hotels, resorts, dive shops and tour businesses. He has over 40 years’ experience in the tourism, travel and hospitality industry.