The course intends to produce independent child health clinicians to run children’s wards in provinces and/or be coordinators of provincial child health. It delivers a holistic approach to child health appropriate to the needs of Solomon Islands, based on the National Child Health Plan; and build a broad base of clinical teaching skills in child health. The course consists of both clinical and academic components, and aims to develop the requisite knowledge, skills and attitudes so that graduates can practice as child health nurses at an advanced, specialist level, in acute, primary and public health settings.
- Normal entry criterion for this degree is University entrance
- Entrance to the Degree for those who are not registered Nurse must also demonstrate fitness as a registered Nurse.
- Fluency in English language, writing, reading, speaking and comprehension.
- Registered nurses may enter directly into the 4th year if they meet the following criteria:
- A practicing registered nurse(RN) with a minimum of 2 years post registration practice plus one of the following;
- Hold a level 6 diploma of Nursing in SICHE or equivalent or
- Holds a certificate of nursing plus has completed an in-service diploma, a bridging programme or equivalent course or
- Has completed another 3 year nursing programme plus has completed an in-service diploma, a bridging programme or equivalent course.
- Registered Nurse from outside Solomon Islands enrolment must provide evidence of the appropriate nursing registration and practicing certificate for the country from which they come from and academic evidence as 2. (1– 4).
Course Code: HBNCH
Course Name: Bachelor of Nursing – Child Health
Duration: 1 year
Core Units: 8 Units
Total Credit Points: 120
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Prerequisites||Semester offered||Credit Points|
|CH761||Introduction to Child Health||1||15|
|CH762||Infant & Child Normal Growth & Development||1||15|
|CH781||Research & Evidence Based Practice||1||15|
|CH741||Child Health Nursing Practice 1||1||15|
|CH721||Hospital Care||CH761 & CH762||2||15|
|CH731||Community Child Health Nursing||CH781||2||15|
|CH732||Leadership & Management for Nurses||2||15|
|CH742||Child Health Nursing Practice 2||CH741||2||15|