The School of Built Environment offers courses /programs in TVET and Engineering training. With the School of Built Environment (SBE) TVET programs, we are committed to helping you develop your knowledge and skills for your future careers. The School works closely with industries and employer groups to ensure training is focused and is exactly what you need to know. Everything is geared towards you obtaining the skills and qualifications you need to do the job so that you can meet your personal and professional goals. The SBE TVET programs offer training for careers in carpentry and joinery, construction, in plumbing and water services, in electrical technology, refrigeration and air conditioning and construction management. The trade courses/programs are offered at the Certificate, Advanced Certificate and Diploma levels. The function of the SBE is to train tradesmen and women to serve both in the Government and the industries in the private sector.
The SBE engineering training offers courses/programs in the survey and civil works, mapping, architects, civil engineering, electrical engineering, photovoltaic energy systems, mechanical engineering, electrical and electronics engineering and Building and construction. The diploma in a civil engineering course is currently being developed for delivery in semester 2 2020. While the bachelor of civil engineering, the bachelor of surveying, the diploma of mechanical engineering, the diploma of electrical engineering and the diploma of architecture are projected to be offered in semester 2 in 2021.
The average student intake in one year is around 400. The school has a total of 32 staff: 27 academic and 5 support staff members, and is one of the leading schools in providing high standard technical education along with technology and excellence in various trades for all Solomon Islanders.
The School of Built Environment is located at the Kukum Campus.
A major component of training for all TVET courses is workplaces training. All students undertaking studies in electrical technology, construction and plumbing and water services are required to complete 3 six months of workplace training sessions before graduating. All students undertaking courses for carpentry are required to complete 4 six months workplace training sessions before graduating.
Courses offered at the School of Built Environment:
- Department of Civil Engineering and Surveying:
- Certificate in Industrial Drafting
- Diploma of Surveying
- Diploma of civil engineering (currently being developed)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma of Mechanical Engineering (currently being developed)
- Certificate III in mechanical engineering (currently being developed)
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Diploma of Photovoltaic Energy System
- Certificate IV in Electrical Technology
- Certificate IV Refrigeration and Air conditioning
- Department of Building and Construction
- Diploma in Construction Management
- Diploma in Architecture (currently being developed)
- Certificate IV in Carpentry & Joinery
- Certificate IV in Construction
- Certificate IV in Plumbing and Water Services
Head of School