The course aims to produce well educated, competent graduates who have: advanced knowledge, skills and practice required to show leadership in the safe and effective birth of nursing care to individuals, families and communities in the Solomon Islands; academic ability to proceed to postgraduate of education and to contribute in a meaningful manner to health development in the Solomon Island.
- Normal entry criterion for this degree is University entrance
- Entrance to the Degree for those who are not registered Nurse must also demonstrate fitness as a registered Nurse.
- Fluency in English language, writing, reading, speaking and comprehension.
- Registered nurses may enter directly into the 4th year if they meet the following criteria:
- A practicing registered nurse(RN) with a minimum of 2 years post registration practice plus one of the following;
- Hold a level 6 diploma of Nursing in SICHE or equivalent or
- Holds a certificate of nursing plus has completed an in-service diploma, a bridging programme or equivalent course or
- Has completed another 3 year nursing programme plus has completed an in-service diploma, a bridging programme or equivalent course.
- Registered Nurse from outside Solomon Islands enrolment must provide evidence of the appropriate nursing registration and practicing certificate for the country from which they come from and academic evidence as 2. (1– 4).
Course Code: HBNUR (MID)
Course Name: Bachelor of Nursing – Midwifery
Duration: 1.5 years
Core Units: 10 Units
Total Credit Points: 180
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Prerequisites||Semester offered||Credit Points|
|MW711||Science in Reproductive Health||1||20|
|MW761||Midwifery & the Childbirth Continuum||1||20|
|MW762||Registered Midwifery Practice||1||20|
|BN781||Research & Evidence Based Practice||1||20|
|MW741||Midwifery Practice 1||1||15|
|MW742||Midwifery Practice 2||MW741||2||15|
|BN731||Leadership and Management||2||20|
|MW763||Care of the Newborn||MW711||2||20|
|MW743||Midwifery Practice 3||MW742||3||15|
|MW744||Midwifery Practice 4||MW741 & MW742||3||15|